SONS OF THE LEGION
|Office||Name||Contact Phone Number|
|Post Advisor||Mike Buechlein||812-482-3862|
Meets the 2nd Thursday of the Month at 6:30 PM
Dues: $20.00 a year
1st Paid Lifetime Member
Are you a a son of a veteran? Would you like to join The American Legion? Check your local American Legion Post where you can find out your eligibility status and apply for membership in the world's largest veteran's organization. Complete the application and proudly become a SON OF THE LEGION.
Q: I am related to someone who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibilty dates. Can I join the Sons of The American Legion?
A: If your relative who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates and is a member of The American Legion, you may join the Sons of The American Legion.
However, if the qualifying veteran is deceased you may join the appropriate organization, even if the qualifying veteran was not a member of The American Legion when living.
Preamble to the S.A.L. National Constitution
Proud possessors of a priceless heritage, we male descendants of veterans of the Great Wars, associate ourselves together as "Sons of The American Legion" for the following purposes: To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a true spirit of Americanism; to preserve the memories of our former members and the associations of our members and our forefathers in the Great Wars; to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and masses; to make right the master of might; to promote peace and good will on earth; to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy; to consecrate and sanctify our friendship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness; to adopt in letter and spirit all of the great principles for which The American Legion stands; and to assist in carrying on for God and Country.
Son's of the American Legion Scholarship requirments and application.
Jasper, Indiana Post 147
Criteria -- Eligibility -- Requirements
APPLICANT MUST BE:
A Current Regular Member of the Sons of the American Legion Post 147
The Spouse, Child or Grandchild of a current Regular member of the Sons of the American Legion Post 147.
- Applicants may request an application from any Post 147 officer or by downloading a form from http://www.alegionjasper147.org/
- A $500 scholarship shall be awarded to one male and one female each year.
- Completed applications MUST be postmarked no later than June first of each award year.
- ALL applicants who are the spouse, child, or grandchild of a current regular member are eligible and MUST submit a signed statement from the member verifying their relationship and recommending the applicant, every year.
- Only full-time , undergraduate students (i.e. 12 credit hours minimum) are eligible for scholarships and no applicant shall receive the scholarship more than one time.
- Applicant MUST submit a copy of their most recent grades with the application. Do not withhold your application awaiting your final grades; as such a delay may disqualify you by missing the June first deadline.
- Successful applicants will be notified by July first of the award year.
- All decisions of the scholarship committee are final.
In addition to the requirements listed above, complete the following as required:
- Applicant MUST submit a minimum of two (2) letters of reference from persons (not related) who have known the applicant for a period of five (5) years.
- Applicant MUST submit a copy of acceptance by an accredited institution of higher learning (i.e. college , university or trade school). Applicants already attending an accredited institution need only submit their last grade transcript.
- The Spouse, Child or Grandchild of a current Regular member or a current member themselves of the Sons of the American Legion Post 147 MUST be a current paid member of no less than three (3) years concurrently.
C/O Sons Commander
Jasper American Legion Post 147
1220 Newton Street
Jasper, Indiana 47546
Sons of American Legion Scholarship
Jasper, Indiana Post 147
FULL LEGAL NAME:_______________________________ AGE:__________
CITY, STATE, ZIP:________________________________________________
SONS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER OR NAME AND MEMBERSHIP NUMBER OF A RELATIVE OF SONS MEMBER:_____________________________________
NAME OF INSTITUTION PLANNING TO ATTEND OR CURRENTLY ATTENDING:
DATE OF ENTERING INSTITUTION:__________________________________
NAME AND ADDRESS OF GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL OR EQUIVELANT:
HIGH SCHOOL HONORS IF APPLICABLE: _____________________________________________________________
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES: ____________________________________________________
COMMUNITY AND/OR CHIRCH ACTIVITIES: ____________________________________________________
OCCUPATIONAL OR PROFESSIONAL GOALS: _______________________________
(Please use additional paper or area for completion is extra space is needed)
I understand that the decision of the Scholarship Review Board is final and that the information submitted in this application and the accompanying documentation is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
LINKS TO S.A.L. WEBSITES